When I was pregnant with Graysen, my mum (Nana) bought Logan a baby doll to get him used to the idea that he was going to have a baby at home soon. At first he was pretty rough with the baby and would do things like run it over with his toy shopping cart. I kept showing him how to be gentle with the baby and he eventually picked up on it and started to place his baby in the seat of the shopping cart and push it around.
When we brought Graysen home from the hospital he was very gentle with her at first and then the jealousy kicked in a little bit since I was not able to always be available to his needs. I tried to make sure to include him in things that I could use his help with and have him be my helper. That seems to have done the trick too. Lately I have noticed that he is starting to mimic some of the things that I do with his baby sister.
It all started with him bringing me his Grover and blankie and asking me to "wrap" blankie around Grover just like I had been swaddling Graysen. It was so sweet and he would walk around the house with them and cuddle them and then place them in his bed and say "shh..night, night". The next thing I noticed was that he started to give me Grover to "nurse" while I was feeding Graysen and he would make slurping sounds and then say "all done" and he would go off and do his own thing. And now in the last couple of days I have caught him "nursing" Grover himself and then "burping" him afterwards. I really wish I was able to capture some pictures of this, but I never seem to have the camera handy.
I am very proud of my little boy for becoming such a little nurturer. He really does love his little sister and makes sure to give her hugs and kisses all day and he now won't go to bed without having story time with his sister followed by cuddle time in his bed and once last kiss good night.
1 comment:
Awww... how sweet. I love that he has adults in his life that don't see anything wrong with a little boy having a doll.
I laughed imaging him running the doll over with the shopping cart.
Post a Comment